Palazzo Mazzetti is the most attractive refined residence of the 18th century in Asti.In the upper part of the doorway two unicorns hold up the coat of arms of the family: three small clubs.
The building occupies the site of the old fortified house owned by the Turco family, acquired by the Mazzetti family in 1442 and consolidated in the buildings acquired by the marchese Giovanni Battista Mazzetti who, from the end of the 17th century and the second quarter of the 18th century promoted the construction of the building towards the court-yard, the embellishment of the front (that was subsequently modified by the project of the engineer Valessina in 1846) and the decoration of the gallery dated 1730.
In the second phase of the works, in the years 1751-1752, Giulio Cesare Mazzetti entrusted to the architect Benedetto Alfieri the project of the renewal of the east wing with the reception rooms that may now be visited following their restoration: the large staircase, the hall of honour and the adjacent rooms where plasterers from Lugano worked under the supervision of Alfieri, adopting a flat "rocailles" style of plasterwork according to the fashion that had reached Italy from France and Germany thanks to the Ticino craftsmen.
In 1846 the building was acquired by the Alfassio Grimaldi di Bellino family, who sold the residence to the Cassa di Risparmio of Asti (the local bank) in 1937, which took care of its restoration. The Municipality of Asti, having accepted the proposal made by the Cassa di Risparmio to host the collections in the Palazzo Grimaldi Bellino, in 1939 resolved to rebuild the Civic Museum.